Thursday 10 June 2010

Public Enemies

It seems, when it comes to books and films I'm always behind.  Too many to see and read that I never get the chance.  For example, it's only this year that I've got around to reading Salmon Fishing in The Yemen  by Paul Torday, despite owning it for some time.  Thoroughly enjoyed it too.

It's the same with films.  I went to the cinema quite a lot at the start of last year and saw some good films but one which I missed despite being aware of it was Public Enemies.  I finally got round to seeing it yesterday.

Directed by Michael Mann and starring Johnny Depp, James Russo and Christian Bale, it tells the story of John Dillinger.  The film looks great and the cast turn in strong performances. Two and half hours flew by.  I'm no expert in Depression Era bank robbers but do know that some of the facts have been changed.  Mainly time lines and the demise of some of the characters, although all the exploits I believe are true.  To be honest, this doesn't take anything away from the film. My only criticism comes with the last scene.  I won't say any more as I don't want to spoil it for people, who like me, are behind with their films.