Wednesday 29 September 2010

That Was England

Last night I watched the final episode of This Is England.  I had been really looking forward to the series and even raved about the first episode on this blog.  However, by the second episode I started to feel as if I was missing something.The back drop, clothes, music and characters are all perfect but it just fell a little flat.

I'm not sure what I was expecting but it seemed the storyline had run out of steam and at times the acting seemed wooden.  It's a shame because when the cast are on form it's great. Last night's episode  proved that, particularly the scenes with Woody and Milky. 

World Cup 86 provides the back drop and the series ends with Maradonna's "Hand of God" goal. Combo's return was neatly tied up but how and why he stumbled into Shaun's house in the first place is still a mystery. It seems that Shaun and Smell are together and Woody and Lol are back on track.

Shane Meadows has said that if there are to be any more then it will be done at 4 year intervals. Despite my criticism it was good to have the gang back on the screen and for that I say "Roll on Italia '90".