Friday 24 September 2010

A Site Of No Special Interest - A Brief History Of The Rea Garden

Yesterday I popped into Solihull to meet a couple of mates for a few drinks.  As I'd got there early I decided to pop along to Solihull Library to check out A Site Of No Special Interest. It's a small exhibition which shows a derelict space in Digbeth being transformed by a goup of artists. I had picked up invitations for the opening night but couldn't make it.

Situated adjacent to the River Rea and close to the Custard Factory, the previously burnt out factory space had been sealed off for more than 15 years and nature had turned it into an overgrown wilderness.

However, in autumn 2007 the site was re-entered and developed by artist group Behind Closed Doors for their inaugural project The Secret Garden.

The site was subsequently renamed The Rea Garden and has since hosted a varied Artist in Residence program, both supported by Arts Council England and National Lottery.

This exhibition is part archive and visual history of the changes to the site over the past three years, and part a document of the creative process and the art work it has hosted - some of which will be on display in the gallery.

It's not a large exhibition but it has some great pieces.  My favourite being by Graham Dunning (the current Artist in Residence).  Consisting of 3 turntables, each with a revolving record.  You are invited to play the records either individually or all together.

Although small I found I lost about 30 minutes. Next time I'm in Digbeth I will be checking out The Rea Garden.

The exhibition at Solihull runs until 9th October.