Tuesday 25 January 2011

Whooper, Bewick or Mute?

On New Year's Day, Clare and I went for a walk and saw two swans.  I thought they were Whoopers but when I got home and checked the sitings around the Midlands there seemed to be an influx of Bewick Swans.   After a bit of deliberation I blogged that we had seen Bewick Swans.

A couple of weeks later I went back and, seeing the swans were still there, took some photos on my phone.  Looking at them today, I was convinced they were Whoopers but needed a second opinion.  I decided to mail Warwickshire Birding, a great little blog that records sitings around the Midlands area.

Tonight I have had a response.  The birds Clare and I saw are Whooper/Mute hybrids. Apparently they have been spotted at Brueton Park before and have also been seen around the Warwickshire area.