Friday 14 January 2011

This Week

It’s been a strange old week. With building work at the flat we have all had to relocate to my parents for a few days. As is usual with the building trade the job has taken twice as long as we were told. Still, it’s all done now and we can get back to normal.
It’s been a week of two halves. The latter part has been quiet (spending time listening to music) but I was out and about at the start of the week.

I met a friend for lunch on Monday and popped along to the cafe in Brueton Park. Whilst we ate I watched the birds come and go from the feeders outside the window. In the space of about an hour we saw Great Tits, Blue Tits, Coal Tits, Chaffinch, a Blackbird, 3 Robins, 2 Nuthatch and a Wren. It’s a lovely little place but the food is quite basic and not that cheap.

Afterwards I popped along to the lake to see the Bewick Swans that Clare and I first saw on New Year’s Day. They’re still there.

On Tuesday I found myself in Kings Heath and spent late afternoon early evening at a place I’d not been before. Cherry Reds is a cafe on York Road. I’m not sure how long it has been there but I imagine it’s fairly new.

Cafe by day and Bar in the evening it’s a lovely place to sit out the rush hour. I can’t comment on the food or the selection of drinks as I only had coffee and a blueberry muffin, both of which were lovely. The staff seemed friendly and helpful and although the place is very small the decor gave it a cosy feel. I will definitely head back there next time I’m in that neck of the woods.

I got home in time for the football and watched Blues lose 2-1 to West Ham in the first leg of the League Cup semi final. A dismal first half display but a much better second half saw Blues level the score with a Ridgewell goal. Unfortunately a rare mistake by Ben Foster (although I also blame the static defence) meant Carlton Cole’s tame effort trickled through his legs and into the net, giving ten man West Ham the lead. It’s still quite evenly poised for the second leg at St Andrew’s at the end of the month.

Wednesday and Thursday were quiet. It’s meant I’ve been able to catch up with some music. There are some great albums due over the next couple of months. I’m really looking forward to PJ Harvey’s new album. The tracks I’ve heard so far sound great! I’m also looking forward to Eat Lights Become Lights’ debut album which is due out at the end of February. If you don’t know who they are then here's a video. You can also check out their Myspace page below.



http://www.myspace.com/eatlightsbecomelights