Sunday 12 June 2011

Now I Wasn't Expecting That!

I was just about to write up my day when I received a text with some odd news. I checked it out and this is what I found on the BBC Sport website.

Alex McLeish has resigned as manager of Birmingham City.

Birmingham won the Carling Cup in February but went on to be relegated from the Premier League at the end of the past campaign.

The club's board had stated that McLeish's job was "safe" in the aftermath of their drop into the Championship but the Scot has now decided to leave of his own accord.

Aston Villa are already being suggested as a possible destination for McLeish.

"Birmingham City Football Club can confirm that Alex McLeish has resigned as manager," said a statement on the St Andrew's club's website.

"Acting chairman Peter Pannu received an e-mail resignation from McLeish earlier today [Sunday] while away on business in Amsterdam.

"No further comment will be made at this moment in time and updates will be released in due course."
More to follow.

I'm a bit surprised but not sure that I'm that upset by it.  I'd like to know his reasons.  Is it because Blues seem to have no money or has he had a better offer from the other side of the city.  Time will tell.