Tuesday 1 November 2011

The Weekend

Saturday and despite the EDL, anti -Capitalist, and anti -Fascist rallies all taking place in Birmingham, along with West Brom and Birmingham both playing at home it was off for a spot of shopping and a bite to eat before leaving Clare and my Mom to go to the theatre. The amount of police upon our arrival at Moor Street Station was quite something! Only once have I seen a larger amount on a train station and that was at London Bridge when Blues played Millwall a few seasons back.

Having taken my mom around the Bullring we headed to the markets (talk about a contrast). Whilst browsing I ended up buying a couple of reggae sound system CDs and when I arrived back home I spent the rest of the afternoon listening to them. A great way to spend the day!

Food at the Coffee Room Bar and Bistro (formerly the Green Rooms) was OK but slightly overdone. Actually, my pizza was burnt around the edges, which was a shame as the middle bit was quite nice. The staff were friendly and the menu reasonably priced.


Sunday and it was back into Birmingham to do a bit of Christmas shopping with lunch at the cafĂ© in Debenhams. I’d not been there before and although the food is pretty basic the views of the south side of Birmingham make up for it.

I tried in vain to buy a new coat and whilst looking in one department store bumped into one of the women I sat by at the ballet a couple of nights before!

Weather wise it has still been quite mild and although there has been the odd shower it is still lovely for the time of year. I think it will come as a shock when we have our first really cold snap of the winter.