Tuesday 1 November 2011

The Specials @ Plymouth Pavillions

Having seen them a couple of weeks before in Wolverhampton I knew exactly what to expect! A great night with a great performance of great tunes. They didn’t disappoint. Although the songs were the same (all the tracks from their 2 albums) they did move the odd track around. Highlights for me included Little Bitch, Blank Expression and Nite Klub.

The crowd were a strange mix and seemed much friendlier than the Wolverhampton lot. Although friendlier they were a lot less lively when the band took to the stage with a large amount around us content to stand and watch.  This surprised me as I had seen The Specials on their last tour in Plymouth and the crowd that night was just one big sweaty mosh pit from front to back.

Prior to arriving at the gig the first part of the evening was spent at the Jury’s Inn bar. A great atmosphere with a group of us who were there just for the gig. We watched the football (QPR beating Chelsea 1-0) and talked about Man Utd's defeat to rivals Man City 6-1.  It's funny how a result like that can bring people together! Afterwards we ended up back there for a nightcap before heading to bed in the early hours.

Monday arrived far too quickly, no sooner had I gone to sleep and it was time to get up again. We checked out, found somewhere for breakfast. Afterwards it was a mad dash up to Bristol to get my train back to Birmingham.

As expected the train was overcrowded and there was a delay whilst the powers that be added more coaches. I got chatting to the woman next to me who was trying to get back to the Isle of Man. She had been performing at a music festival somewhere in Cornwall.  Chatting away made the journey so much quicker and it wasn't long before I was back in Brum.