Saturday 17 September 2011

Doxey Marshes

Today I've been to Doxey Marshes in Staffordshire.  I've been meaning to go for some time and finally managed to get here today.

A short walk along the river from the train station will get you there.  At first it didn't look that big but there are plenty of paths to walk and quite a few areas of water with a hide overlooking the main lake.  The highlight of the day was a Marsh Harrier!  I watched it for ages as it slowly flew over the reed beds.  Another highlight was a Kestrel that took off from a tree and flew directly past me.  It could have only been a few feet away.

Other birds included, Lapwing Greylag Goose, Shoveller, Cormorant, Grey Heron, Buzzard and flocks of Goldfinch. There were a lot of Coots and too many Canada Geese and I was surprised at the lack of wading birds but on the whole not a bad place to go to watch birds.

After leaving the marshes I had a walk around Stafford Town Centre and had a lovely meal of Mushroom and Spinach pie and chips (from Sainsbury's of all places!).

All in all, not a bad day.  The weather forecast hadn't bode well but with the exception of the odd shower it was fine. With some prolonged sunny spells. I will definitely head back there at some point.