Monday 16 August 2010

The Weekend

Friday night and my plans to watch the meteor shower were dashed by cloud.  Instead I contented myself with the spectacle that is Big Brother. Josie is guaranteed a place in the final courtesy of her house mates and Jo was evicted.  The countdown to the final begins now. Just over a week to go.

Saturday was spent shopping.  I have decided to start collecting cricket books and after a trawl of the charity shops I managed to pick up both Botham's and Fintoff's autobiographies, a tribute to Dickie Bird and a book on cricket writing.  Not a bad start! 
Obviously if you are having a shopping day you need to start it right.  For me that is a vegetarian breakfast at Morrisons.  It has become quite a regular thing on a Saturday morning. For around £2.70 you get fried egg, mushrooms, tomato, beans, 2 x hash browns and a slice of toast. Wash it all down with a cup of coffee and an extra round of toast if you're really hungry (I usually am) and you're away.

Yesterday Clare and I went to the Electric Cinema to see Skeletons.  For those who don't know it is the oldest working cinema in the UK.  It shows both Hollywood blockbusters and small independent films. You can either sit in the stalls or have a sofa at the back.  The sofas are great with plenty of room to stretch out.  You can also text the bar and they will bring you your drinks so you do not miss the film. 

Yesterday's film was Skeletons.  Last week it won the Michael Powell award at Edinburgh.  A British Comedy, directed by Nic Whitfield and starring Ed Gaughan and Andrew Buckley, it tells the story of 2 agents who work for a psychic cleaning company.  In other words they are employed to clear metaphorical skeletons out of real cupboards. 

I still don't know what I made of this film.  I thought it looked great and thought all the roles were performed really well.  I liked the premise of the story and thought the script was well written but as I left the cinema the one word that kept coming to mind was bleak.  I think I enjoyed the film but I'm not sure I would recommend it to anyone.  If you read the reviews it seems to be a mixture of good and bad, a little confusing and I think that's how I feel about it.