Sunday 18 July 2010

Steve McCurry - Retrospective

Steve McCurry is an American photojournalist who has taken some of the world's most recognised photographs.

Yesterday I went to a retrospective of his work at Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery. It was fantastic. The photographs are mainly taken in Afghanistan during the Russian Invasion. This is where he made his name. Disguised as a local with film sewn into his clothes. His photos are beautiful, poignant and thought provoking.

It was busy in the Waterhall Gallery and I needed to go back to some of the images again when people had moved away. I would like to think the calibre of the exhibition dragged people off the street but I have a nagging feeling that the heavy showers outside may have played a part.

Despite the crowds I still think it is possibly one of the best exhibitions I have seen and if you can go and see it, you should.  It runs until 17th October so you have plenty of time.


To read an interview with Steve McCurry go here or visit his website.