Tuesday 25 May 2010

In the Garden

As I said yesterday, I have spent a good deal of time in the garden, what with the nice weather and all.  It's been lovely. I've sat in the sunshine and just watched the wildlife going about it's business.  Although I live in a residential street, my garden is quite enclosed and I deliberately leave it slightly overgrown. I prefer it that way. Just let nature do what it does. Over the last few days I have become quite fond of a couple of Goldfinches that flit back and forth all day long.  I've tried to take a photo but they are either too well camouflaged in the foliage or fly off by the time I have my camera ready.  Other visitors to my garden (or the airspace above it) have included Blue Tits, Great Tits, a Robin, Magpies and a Kestrel. In the late afternoon Swifts appear over head.  Butterflies including Holly Blue, Speckled Wood, Peacock and a Small White have also visited. Again I have tried to photograph these with limited success.  Below is a picture of a Peacock Butterfly.  I stood for what seemed like hours waiting for it to open it's wings but when it did I was too slow and it had gone by the time I was ready.

To a lot of people this won't sound very "Rock n Roll"  but I find it very relaxing.  I am a city person through and through and don't think I could ever live in the countryside but as soon as the sunshine arrives I want to be out and surrounded by trees and greenery.  I am lucky enough to have a small garden to escape to at the very least.  I am in no way green fingered but can understand why people love gardening. Perhaps it's something I might take up in a few years. In the meantime I will just sit and watch the birds and butterflies as they come and go.