Wednesday 5 October 2011

Emmy The Great - The Glee Club Birmingham

October 4th is a cool day, so says Emmy The Great.  She was referring to the changing of the seasons and not my birthday but that was why I was at The Glee Club on a Tuesday night, for my birthday.

It had been a nice evening.  Having a drink and a bite to eat at Poppy Red before heading up stairs to The Glee Club.

Having arrived pretty early we were treated to The Horrors' Skying album being played through the PA in it's entirety before the support act took to the stage.

Stealing Sheep hail from Liverpool (I think).  I'd not heard them before but as their set went on I really grew to like them.  Great harmonies and quirky little songs.  Follow the link to their website below and you can download a free song.

http://www.stealingsheep.co.uk/Site/Home.html

Emmy The Great took to the stage about 9.10.  Without saying a word she walked out picked up her guitar and played Eastern Maria before her band joined her onstage.   

I am not sure of the set list but songs included First Love, We Almost Had A Baby, 24, MIA, Cassandra, Iris, Dinosaur Sex, Easter Parade and Paper Forest.

I really enjoyed the set.  Having left the stage the encore consisted of 4 songs finishing on Canopies and Grapes.  These songs had been requested by the audience and although she played all 4 she did say that people could leave after 3 and only hang around for Canopies and Grapes if they really wanted to.  The band left the stage, the audience didn't.

http://www.emmythegreat.com/default.aspx