Friday 15 October 2010

Jenny Eclair @ Adrian Bolt Hall

As part of Birmingham Book Festival, Jenny Eclair came to the city to promote Chin Up Britain, her new book.  Filled with witty advice to help us through these tough times.

I figured prior to attending that I would be one of only a few blokes in the audience. I was right.

The evening took the form of a question and answer session with Jenny going off at a tangent every now and again. Funny at times with some of the more female orientated bits going over my head. She talked a lot about Grumpy Old Women (both the TV and stage show) and also about bringing back the battleaxe. The funniest bit for me was when she was talking about celebrity weddings "You know the ones, where the bride gets religion and Disney a bit confused".

The venue had been changed to Adrian Bolt Hall, somewhere I'd not been before.  It's a great little place for a mid size venue. I can't believe that I have never had cause to visit it prior to last night .

All in all, a pleasant evening as I expected it would be. A nice touch was the tea and cake upon arrival.  My only criticism was that the whole thing lasted about an hour before she disappeared to sign copies of her new book. It's a shame really as I could have quite happily settled in for the night.