Tuesday 5 October 2010

Birthday Weekend

It was my birthday yesterday. Last night Clare, my parents and I went for a bite to eat at Bella Italia in Solihull.  It was lovely and I think we all enjoyed it despite Bella having no olives or beer! Apparently they were still waiting for a delivery.

Earlier in the day I dragged Clare into Birmingham. Sir Michael Caine was signing copies of his book at Waterstone's and I decided that I wanted to go.  The signing was due to start at 12.30pm and we arrived at just gone 11.  The queue was already quite big and we took our place at the back.  The Waterstone's representative gave us a raffle ticket (number 172) and made it quite clear that this did not guarantee us a place. We were given a post it note with my name on, if you wanted the book personalised you had to stick it on the inside cover.

Michael arrived just before 12 and within a few minutes the queue began to move.  Prior to his arrival a Waterstone's security guard had moved along the queue telling everyone that it was only the book that would be signed and no memorabilia.  This was a blow as I had bought a copy of the Italian Job and wanted that signed as well.

The queue moved quickly enough and it wasn't long before we were in the store. Here, another staff member took the book, opened it and presented it to Michael.  Before I knew it I was in front of Sir Michael Caine, watching him copy my name into a book.  He didn't speak and only looked up when he passed the book back. We were ushered to one side and the next person moved in.  Someone asked for a picture and a member of staff said that he would not pose for photographs but if you wanted to take one from the back you could.  I tried to get a decent photo but failed.

The whole thing fell a bit flat.  Now, I can understand the memorabilia not being signed.  The queue was large and if someone has a carrier bag full of DVDs it means that someone at the back of the queue might miss out.  I can also understand the post it note with your name on.  Not only does it speed things along but also saves on embarrassing moments with spelling or repeating awkward names. What I don't understand is the rudeness of the Waterstone's staff and the whole conveyor belt feel to it.  I could never claim to have met Sir Michael Caine. I can claim to have made eye contact and I can say I said thank you but that is it.  There was no personal element. I came away feeling slightly duped.  I wasn't expecting a long conversation but having queued for 2 hours and shelling out for the book, a "thank you" would have been nice.

Following that, we went for coffee before doing a bit of shopping.  We decided against lunch as we were going for a meal in the evening and had started the day at Sainsbury's for breakfast. We arrived home with books, DVDs and CDs and just enough time to play them before my parents arrived.

One final note, whilst queueing, there was a couple behind us who talked constantly at another couple (who they didn't know) about all the famous people they have met. Jamie Oliver (nice bloke), Nigella Lawson (good looking woman), David Attenborough (really nice, chatted about their cat), Justin Lee Collins (down to earth) and Martin Shaw.  I would just like to say to that couple that Martin Shaw probably didn't give you an autograph because he realised just how irritating you are!

Saturday. Clare had sorted out a bit of a get together with some friends.  She spent a fortune on food and drink (still have food left 3 days later!).  There was a 1920s theme and everyone turned up in appropriate attire.  They all looked great.

I don't usually celebrate birthdays (never have) but I had a really good evening as did everyone else.  At one point, I was outside having a cigarette when a neighbour popped his head out of the window and asked if we were having a party.  Due to a bus passing I never caught what he said next. I wasn't sure if he was complaining or not so did the only thing I could and invited him up for a drink.  He declined.

It was a lovely night and I would like to say thank you to everyone who turned up and especially to Clare for making my birthday a special one.